When you are betrayed, abused or rejected by a loved one, you can be stressed and one health aspect adversely affected is your sleeping habit as you think and ponder on the painful experience over and over again. You may find yourself sleeping less than the recommended sleeping time. Even when you eventually sleep, the emotional hurt can haunt you to the point that you continuously dream of it. On the other extreme end , an emotionally stressful experience can result in one sleeping excessively as they shun themselves from the rest of the world. Bad sleeping habits have an adverse effect on one’s healthy lifestyle, therefore it is important that you focus on good relaxing techniques that will help you ease the stress you would have gone through and help you develop better sleeping habits.
RECOMMENDED SLEEPING PERIOD BASED ON AGE GROUP
Sleeping is a vital indicator of overall health and wellbeing as we spend approximately one third of our lives sleeping. Sleep requirements vary across ages and are especially impacted by lifestyle and health. According to the National Sleep Foundation, the below chart is the recommended sleeping period based on age group. However there could be exceptional cases where individual’s needs like health issues could alter the sleeping periods.
- Newborns (0-3 months): Recommended sleep range is 14-17 hours each day
- Infants (4-11 months): Sleep range should be 12-15 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): Sleep range should be 11-14 hours
- Preschoolers (3-5): Sleep range should be 10-13 hours
- School age children (6-13): Sleep range should be 9-11 hours
- Teenagers (14-17): Sleep range should be 8-10 hours
- Younger adults (18-25): Sleep range should be 7-9 hours
- Adults (26-64): Sleep range should be 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+): Sleep range should be 7-8 hours
4 RELAXATION TECHNIQUES THAT ALLEVIATE STRESS AND HELP DEVELOP A GOOD SLEEPING HABIT
Emotionally painful experiences can result in hurt and stress, therefore before we focus on how to develop good sleeping habits as you move on and focus on rebuilding a self worth, it is important we touch on relaxation techniques that can help ease the stress and make you feel better and eventually sleep better. Dr. Benson, editor of the Harvard Medical School special Health report, “Stress Management”, approaches for preventing and reducing stress’ emphasises on relaxation as very vital in stress management.
- Focus on good breathing techniques:- When you are hurt and stress you can sometimes experience panic attacks or you feel your chest very tight, affecting the normal breathing. As a way to relax, practise taking deep , slow breaths. As you take these breaths gently disengage your mind from the distracting thoughts of what you went through and focus on positive thoughts. This technique can slow down your heart rate and release the tightness in the chest. Keep practicing this until you feel better.
- Body Scan:- After a few minutes of deep breaths , you can focus on one body part at a time or a group of muscles at a time., mentally releasing any physical tension you might be feeling. You can also visit a Beauty Spar where professionals can help you ease the tension within your body. Click here to find out recommended ways on how you can do a body scan and help release tension.
- Guided imagery and soothing music:- For this relaxation technique, you surround yourself with positive imagery that relaxes your mind. Kindly note this differs per person. Scenes of an ocean , or a beautiful waterfall can be soothing. Click here to find a wide range of good sceneries that you can put around you to relax. In addition look for good soothing music that brings your mind at ease and makes you focus on the beautiful scenery. Click here for a wide range of good soothing music that will help you relax. Below are also some recommended sources that can help you relax and reduce stress.
- Mindful meditation:– Some people find Yoga classes very good places to relax and take your mind off a stressful situation. You can also choose to sit comfortably, , focus on breathing and bring your mind’s attention to the present moment without drifting into concerns about the past experience or worrying about the future. If you are religious, you can also take these moments to silently pray and ask for help.
If you find that the environment you are in is not conducive to relax, you can look for a place where you can really focus on relaxing like a park or somewhere quiet. You can even go on holiday for a while to take a break. A change of environment can help your mind relax and focus on the new environment you are in. (advertise World Ventures holiday packages)
Benefits of the relaxing to ease stress
Relaxation techniques have the following benefits :-
- Slows the heart rate
- Lowers Blood pressure
- Slows your breathing rate
- Improves digestion
- Helps maintain normal blood sugar levels
- Reduces activities of stress hormones
- Reduces muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improves blood flow to major muscles
- Lowers fatigue
- Reduces anger and frustration
- Boosts confidence to handle problems
- Improves sleeping quality
When you relax and ease stress your sleeping habits also improve.
6Tips that will help you develop good sleeping habits
Now that you have practiced relaxation techniques , it is important to start developing good sleeping habits, and the following tips will help you develop good sleeping habits:-
- Tip 1:- Pay attention to your thought line ,mood and energy levels, if these are not okay you will probably not sleep well. Hence it is important you think positive, to improve your mood and energy levels. Your positive thought line will help you sleep better.
- Tip 2:– Develop a sleep schedule even on weekends that you strictly adhere to. Once your mind adapts to the schedule your sleeping habits improve.
- Tip 3:-Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual that will help you relax your mind before you sleep. Click here for good suggestions of relaxation routines you can adopt before bed.
- Tip 4:- Evaluate your bedroom to ensure good ventilation, ideal temperature, good sound proof walls and good lighting that allows you to have a good night’s sleep.
- Tip 5:– Sleep on a comfortable bed , mattress, good pillow and fresh bedding. Below are the recommended mattresses and pillows that will help your body relax and ensure you have a good night sleep.
- Tip 6:- Beware of beverages and gadgets that can steal your sleep. The National sleeping foundation suggest that an individual ought to have a natural sleep/wake cycle. Where one sleeps and wakes up naturally with no external forces having to disturb the cycle. However this cycle is usually disrupted by stimulants like caffeine, energy drinks, , alarm clocks, electronic devices and external lights Excessive intake of energy drinks, caffeine and other beverages can distort good sleeping habits. In order to improve your sleeping habits try and reduce intake of these sleep stealers. It is also advisable to switch off gadgets that can wake you up in the middle of your sleep.
Sleeping disorders that need professional help if the above strategies do not work
After adopting the relaxation techniques ,adhering to the 6 tips to help you sleep better , and you still find yourself with the following signs , consult your physician:-
- Sleepiness and fatigue during the day
- Snoring during sleep
- Consistent Leg cramps
- Prolonged insnomia
- Gasping or difficulty in breathing during sleep
- Chronic stress
It is important to make sleeping a priority, and to monitor your sleeping habit over a period of time after adopting a sleeping schedule, I recommend the National Sleep Foundation diary. A good sleep, improves your mental alertness and boosts your mood to think positively and also live a healthy lifestyle.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below and I will be more than happy to answer them.